Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Ushiku Nature Park

Only a suburban city could afford this kind of park. And my area is a mixture of rural and urban.

Japanese silver grasses.

A kind of hardy orange.

A solar clock indicates the time. Yes, when I came here it was about noon.

A lizard was on the leaves. Is this smaller or bigger than the one in your country?

The name of this butterfly might be "Indian Fritillary" if my research is correct.

A female praying mantis.

A grasshopper called "Patanga japonica".

This building is called "The Nature Center" where you can rest and do research on wildlife.

Many kinds of birds that can be seen around here were on display.


In Japan you see lots of insects flying around, and if you leave open the windows of your room for 30 minutes or so, insects will sneak into your room. This is why I don't open the windows so often. It's fall now, so the number of insects coming in is smaller, but in the summer you will bump into insects many times while you're on the bike.

When I was a kid, there was already video games and some of my friends played them after school was over, but most of the Japanese parents didn't like their kids to stay home, and told them to do some kind of outdoor activities such as sports, and my friends and I went in the woods to catch some insects like beetles.

This Ushiku Nature Park is where you can see lots of insects and plants. We usually see many insects on the street, but if we really want to observe and take pics of them, this is the place where you can do both.