Friday, March 19, 2010

Mister Donut

I visit this "Mister Donut" from time to time. As some of you know, this originally came from North America, but according to what I found, there are now only 8 outlets in Pennsylvania and Florida, and that its main markets are in Asia. There was a rival donut company in Japan that was called "Dunkin' Donuts", but it withdrew from the business in Japan in '98. The Japanese people are so familiar with this Mister Donut that they call it "Misdo".
There was an outlet on one of the main streets in my city, but now it has moved to a newly built shopping mall. At the former outlet, people could smoke in certain time periods, but now most of the Japanese people started to refrain from smoking, and this outlet bans smoking entirely. 

What you're seeing in the upper right is called "Pon De Ring". it includes something that is soft as rice cake, and many people like it.  And the ones on its left is something similar, but it has some sweet black powder called "Kokutou (brown sugar)" on its surface.

There are so many kinds of donuts, but I like to have ones that have chocolate coating. The one in the center on the lower row is called "Angel Chocolat"

And Mister Donut sells not only something sweet, but what can be had for lunch like the ones you're seeing. The rectangular pies in the left center is "Curry Frank Pie", and the ones on its right are "Hamburger Pies". As you can see, both of them cost 168 yen, or 1.8 us dollars.

I think a Mister Donut is a place where people of all age can relax and have food. But when it's past 4 o'clock, when the Japanese students go home, it is crowded with students.

I ordered a coffee and took a "Chocolat French with Raw Caramel" and a "Curry Frank Pie". These cost me about 6.4 us dollars or 4.6 euros. You could buy a set at Mcdonald's for 6 dollars, but as I don't have much for lunch, this was enough.

To show you what was inside, I cut in two the "Curry Frank Pie". Since I like curry and sausages, I enjoyed having it. In my book it was better than the sausage pies that the ordinary bakeries in my neighborhood offer. 

I could have ordered an iced coffee, but Mister Donut serves a very good hot coffee at a reasonable price. And you can have refills for free. I didn't put in any sugar, 'cause it is good as it is. 

Honestly I sometimes feel as if I was advertising a shop in Japan, but all in all I show you only things I like very much. And since this donut shop is renowned for its coffee, I sometimes come here for the purpose of having a coffee only.