Sunday, January 22, 2012

Brownie and 万豚記 (Wang Tsu Chi)

I came to Akihabara this weekend too. It had been forecast it was going to rain or snow in Tokyo, but I had found online good restaurants in Akihabara. So we went ahead with what we had planned.

 On this day, the temperature was about 4 degrees in the morning, so I was wearing a down jacket. Still, it was very cold and I found it was hard to breathe because the cold wind slapped my face. 

Some blogs said this curry shop was the best in this area. It was about a 10 minutes' walk from Akihabara station. But it was 11:30 when I came here, whereas the restaurant opened at 12:00. So we were killing some time at a coffee shop.  

This is the rice and curry I ordered "Vietnam Curry". It tasted of coconut milk and the curry was spicy enough. It was very good, but what was surprising was this was served only 5 minutes after we took seats.  

And we had Chinese dishes for dinner. This 万豚記 was on the 8th floor of Yodobashi Akiba building.  

 And again, this Ramen (坦々麺) was served after a few minutes we ordered. The noodles were wide, and the soup soaked in them perfectly. You can have Chinese food everywhere in Japan, but this restaurant serves what you can have on the streets of China according to my friend who have gone to China before. 

This is dumplings that are called "焼売 (Shuumai)". Normally this kind of side dish comes before Ramen, but it was served after I told a waitress we had been kept waiting. As I watched the kitchen, the chef was yelling at a female colleague, and she seemed to be about to cry. I felt sorry for her.